[asterisk-dev] Easy packaging (Was unstable releases)

Daniel Hazelbaker daniel at highdesertchurch.com
Wed Jan 16 16:51:45 CST 2008

On Jan 16, 2008, at 12:08 PM, Axel Thimm wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 03:06:43PM -0800, Daniel Hazelbaker wrote:
>> For me, the hardest thing with even thinking about testing with trunk
>> is that it is not always easy to rollback to a previous "version" if
>> something is not working and you just can't get around it.
>
> If there is interest/demand I wouldn't mind having a development set
> of packages at ATrpms. ATrpms already has a stability sectioning into
> stable/testing/bleeding, e.g. the trunk bits would get into
> bleeding. A similar scheme works great for example for mythtv
> development.

Personally, I know I would enjoy having access to pre-built RPMS of
trunk.  I don't think we would need a nightly build, but perhaps a
weekly build from trunk would suffice, and certainly would help me be
able to run trunk on or test server, especially if there is yum/apt
access (which I know you have).

> I also wouldn't mind keeping the packaging as distribution neutral as
> possible to allow SuSE/Madriva and any other rpm distro to either
> directly use the src.rpms or at least have very few modifications to
> do (ideally I would really want the specfiles to be the same for all
> distros - of course this only works within a packaging family like rpm
> distros and deb distros). I already try to be as distribution neutral
> as possible, but it needs to be tested by true SuSE/Mandriva power
> users to find any wrong bits.

This would certainly be best, wether or not it is feasable, we'll have
to see. :)

> Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net

Daniel