[asterisk-dev] Easy packaging (Was unstable releases)

Jared Smith jsmith at digium.com
Wed Jan 16 12:22:11 CST 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 09:39 -0800, Daniel Hazelbaker wrote:
> I am not saying we need to cover
> every single distribution, but if we get a few of the major players
> covered, and setup in such a way that it is generally package
> friendly, then it would not be too difficult for people to submit
> patches to add functionality to other distributions.

I can't speak for many of the distributions, but I can say that Fedora
has some awfully nice packages for Asterisk, thanks to the hard work and
dedication of Jeff C. Ollie.  Having looked at the SPEC file, he's done
a tremendous job of taking care of dependencies, breaking things up into
subpackages (for things like voicemail over ODBC), and so on.  They're
by far the most advanced packages I've ever come across for Asterisk.
You can see the latest version here:

http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewcvs/rpms/asterisk/devel/asterisk.spec?view=markup

That being said, this is one place where Digium currently doesn't have
the resources to go out and package up Asterisk for every single Linux
distribution.  Obviously the major ones now have Asterisk packages, and
we'd be more than happy for members of the community to step up and help
out in this regard.

--
Jared Smith
Community Relations Manager