[asterisk-dev] Unstable releases lately

John Lange john.lange at open-it.ca
Tue Jan 15 09:24:57 CST 2008

Back at Fall Von 2007, during the BOF session the topic of having a
daily SVN snapshot available for download was raised and there seemed to
be agreement that this was a good idea.

If you make it easier to get early releases more people will do so and
hopefully more bugs will be found which might help improve stability.

Taking things one step further; it would be nice if there were binary
packages available from the main Asterisk web site that closely tracked
the releases as well. Maybe even an SVN snapshot binary as well.

I realize that Asterisk has always been a "compile from source"
community but the rest of the Linux world no longer is so it might be
time to have a look at this as a way of improving things for
administrators.

Just to elaborate a little; at the moment, once we build and deploy an
Asterisk box in the field using SUSE (SLES10), it would be nice if the
box would pick up the critical Asterisk updates just like it does with
all the other packages.

This should be as simple as pointing an update source to a Digium
repository.

Or is that what Business Edition is all about?

John