[asterisk-dev] Unstable releases lately

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Tue Jan 15 03:42:46 CST 2008

On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 10:06:14PM -0700, Bob wrote:
> >From a system integrators point of view, we are incorporating Asterisk and
> Zaptel within 48 hours of their release. People are asking us all of the
> time when a certain bug fix is going to be released. Since I don't make the
> distro either, when the distro gets released, someone will ask me to install
> it on their machine. The distro makers are the ones that spend the 24 to 48
> hours testing their update mechanisms. They don't really test asterisk.
>
> I don't think that it is that large of a task to employ some sort of beta
> release system here. We expect that each release would be more stable than
> the last. I should be able to grab 2 or 3 "dot" numbers back and get less
> features for more stability, or just less features. That certainly won't be
> the case when the little bugs that have popped up recently are fixed. If the
> maintainers of the project can push a testing release, then the distros will
> follow suit, and the end user experience should be much better.

Have you read Russel's proposed plan for 1.6? It seems much more in line
with the things you propose.

Also recall that most of the recent versions were released in response
to a recently-discovered security hole. You can't start an RC period at
that occasion.

Zaptel is slightly different here. There is a common pattern where we
rush our changes to make it to the release (and I'm also to blame here).
This is mainly code that has been tested before commit, and we'd always
like to get the improvements in the drivers to the customers ASAP.

I wonder if we should try to make some "changes window" right after a
new release. At least for changes that are not extensively tested
in-house.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com