[asterisk-dev] Unstable releases lately

David Boyd dboyd at ignitetrx.com
Mon Jan 14 07:35:55 CST 2008

> Altought I don't like your tone, I second that. I also had some nasty
> issues on versions 1.4.14 to 1.4.17, specially 1.4.16.1.
>
> The main problem is the incredible number of deadlocks it causes. My
> clients often called more than once a day to complain that the PBX
> wasn't making and receiving calls anymore.
>
> My solution to all problems was to downgrade to 1.4.13, and it is rock-
> solid so far.
>

> Att
> Vinícius Fontes
> Desenvolvimento
> Canall Tecnologia em Comunicações
>

> Em 12/01/2008, às 13:54, Kevin P. Fleming escreveu:
>
>> Bob wrote:
>>
>>> There are a ton of changes between the 1.4 trunk and 1.4.17
>>> releases. I'm
>>> left wondering what process happens when 1.4 trunk (branch
>>> actually) becomes
>>> 1.4.18. Obviously it doesn't spend an hour in testing. Is there a
>>> 1.4.18
>>> release candidate? Am I correct in assuming that Mr. Fleming just
>>> pushes the
>>> 1.4 branch into a tag on his own and moves on?
>>
>> I have not made an Asterisk 1.4 release in quite some time... 12
>> months
>> ago to be exact (1.4.0). In addition to this message being off-topic
>> for
>> this list, you should really have a factual basis for your comments if
>> you wish them to taken seriously and not as just trolling.
>>
>> --
>> Kevin P. Fleming
>> Director of Software Technologies
>> Digium, Inc. - "The Genuine Asterisk Experience" (TM)

I have followed several threads of late on various projects that seem to
be coming to a head on the methods and processes that make up an open
source project. As we are a development company that embraces the open
source concepts and ideas, we have begun exploring what makes Open Source
work or fail. Apparently other organizations and individuals are asking
the same questions and beginning to do comparative analysis for there own
and others benefit. I have  included a link to a document written by an
individual
"Walt Scacchi" affiliated with "The Institute for software research"
located in Irvine California. This document provides a comparison between
FOSS, and SE based projects.

I would be very interested if others would take the time to read the
document and comment on what it has to say.

http://www.ics.uci.edu/~wscacchi/Papers/New/Scacchi-BookChapter.pdf

One of the primary things I have taken away from this read is that
communications between developers and users is why Open Source works. This
is especially  true since the developers of Open source code are typically
the end users themselves.

After reading as much as we can, and discussing it internally we think the
main question before many successful Open Source projects is can they
sustain the quality that made them successful and still conform to the
expectations of the community that use the code.

The pitfall of course is if you fail, then you are prone to
disillusionment and therefore a loss of community support. This could
result in a fork of the base project and additional loss of community
support.

IOHO (in OUR honest opinion)the Asterisk project is beginning to show
signs of fray and wear at the corners, this is only going to get worse if
the attitudes of the participants and developers are childish and
churlish. (Please note that I have displayed both of these in my tenure of
using Asterisk) The real question for our company is do we place resources
to support Asterisk, or do we place resources in support of another forum
that is attempting to grow both in capabilities and methodologies. Maybe
Digium doesn't care if they lose community support as they have been
successful in bringing in investment that will carry them forward as they
deploy more commercial product, I know that we as a company care because
our customer base cares about the quality of the products they use to run
their company.

Thanks,
Dave