[asterisk-dev] Simulation of radios with something like MeetMe()

Holger Wirtz wirtz at dfn.de
Fri Jan 11 00:59:41 CST 2008

Steven,

thanks for your ideas.

On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 09:50:12AM -0600, Steven S. Critchfield wrote:
[...]
> New thought that came to mind. Again, I don't know enough of the code
> behind what I am suggesting, but hopefully this will help.
>
> The Idea I had was that if you had a single meetme for each of the 'radios'
> you have in the game. Have an application watching your coords and joining
> a one way application between the various meetmes. These applications are
> what does the filtering you need to implement the simulation.
>
> For instance, you have your ATCs out there at fixed coords. As you travel,
> and send you coods up to the asterisk server, it will connect to the ATC
> meetme rooms. This will let you have access to those ATCs and the linking
> application will handle lowering of the quality with increasing distance.

This works already (without the quality lowering). But the problem is
that two flyers cannot connect to each other on every frq they like if
they are in range.

> With some more intercommunications, you can mute some channels when stronger
> other channels are there.
>
> With this idea, you have a little programming to do, but you will probably
> want to check out the branch that allows you to use the jack media libraries.

Yes. The problem is the transport of the intercommunication. I made some
tests with a parallel XML-RPC session which transports the data but this
is complex to handle because you have to sync the VoIP and the XML-RPC
sessions. My code was not very stable and some strange things happend
sometimes.

My intention is to write something which might be complex but simple to
install and use.

Regards, Holger