[asterisk-dev] Post Call QoS in Asterisk 1.4

Johansson Olle E oej at edvina.net
Sun Feb 24 01:42:05 CST 2008

22 feb 2008 kl. 23.09 skrev Douglas Garstang:

> It's time to ask this question again. Maybe I will get a reply one
> day. :)
> Posting to the dev list in the hope someone here may have an idea.
>
> Asterisk 1.4 has some channel variables that you can inspect after a
> call is complete that will give you QoS metrics. Stuff like average
> round trip time, etc.
>
> Since there's only one set of variables, and calls will have two
> channels, which channel is this information for? Is it for one of
> the channels? Is it an aggregate of both channels? Who added this
> code and what where they thinking when they wrote it?

It's added for each channel, but as you know, the dialplan processing
only involves the caller's channel.

The channel variables was just a bad hack. Someone contributed code
for RTCP, but did not make the report available. After sending out
several mails to the mailing lists asking for input on what to do with
it, I added the channel variables just to be able to check that I got
any data.  Another developer then fixed these so that they worked for
more call cases. Feel free to suggest modifications and improvements,
but please don't use phrases that insinuate that we had no clue. You
are not encouraging us to answer you that way.

Reaching the outbound channel from the dialplan, especially after a
hangup, will be tricky. So what you might want is that the bridged
channel (outbound) sends the data across the bridge at hangup time,
maybe in the control frame.

Patches are always welcome!

Regards,
/Olle