[asterisk-dev] [svn-commits] russell: branch russell/events r103692 - /team/russell/events/doc/

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Fri Feb 15 10:22:30 CST 2008

Johansson Olle E wrote:
> 14 feb 2008 kl. 22.14 skrev SVN commits to the Digium repositories:
>
>> Author: russell
>> Date: Thu Feb 14 15:14:37 2008
>> New Revision: 103692

>> Log:
>> Add a pretty hefty document on setting up and testing distributed
>> events, and
>> distributed device state, specifically
>
> A good day for documentation people :-)
>
> Anyway, Russell, I just wanted to thank you for this work. This is
> something that has been missing for a long time and we discussed this
> both in Pisa and at the Atlanta AstriDevCon. Having a distributed
> event platform will take Asterisk to the next level of scalability.

Thanks for the kind words.  I think spending a week out of the office is
something I should do on a regular basis so that I can keep knocking out stuff
like this.  ;)

I plan on writing a more formal request for testing here pretty soon ...

> I guess another step would be to rewrite manager so that we can share
> manager events on the bus.

Absolutely.  I think there are few different people thinking about different
ways to approach this, including Mark Michelson, who recently started a branch
for it.

The way that I envision this working is that when all is done, there will no
longer be the concept of a "manager event" inside of Asterisk.  We will only
have just plain, binary encoded Asterisk events, like message waiting and device
states are being handled.

Then, what we know as the manager interface today will just be a subscriber to
the Asterisk events, and will re-format them in the current manager format, xml,
or whatever.

The API that exists is already written in a subscribe/notify like fashion, so it
should support the desire to let manager clients only subscribe to the events
that they care about.  There are some things to be worked out to make sure that
the subscription details infrastructure is flexible enough, but we'll see ...

> Cool stuff!

Yay!

--
Russell Bryant