[asterisk-dev] SRTP branch update

Leif Madsen leif.madsen at asteriskdocs.org
Mon Dec 22 20:07:03 CST 2008

Terry Wilson wrote:
> 1) Does anyone know of any  phones other than the minisip softphone
> that actually support MIKEY?
>
> 2) Has anyone tested out the asterisk SRTP code w/ MIKEY against some
> of those phones so we know that the code is correct?
>
> 3) Since Asterisk now has TCP/TLS support in chan_sip, is there any
> benefit to using MIKEY over using sdescriptions?
>
> 4) Should we keep and support the MIKEY code?

As I had mentioned on the bug tracker (and which I will reiterate here),
I would suggest that, based on what sounds like a fairly significant
amount of work for a minor benefit. From my understanding it sounds as
if the feature that MIKEY would provide can actually be provided by the
current branch with a different implementation (sdescriptions). In
addition, it sounds as if few phone manufacturers are interested in
supporting MIKEY.

So my suggestion would be simply to keep the MIKEY code for anyone to
update in a branch somewhere, but split it out from the SRTP code and
not try to do too many things at once (in addition to holding up one of
the oldest open bugs on the tracker).

Perhaps we can keep the MIKEY code in a branch somewhere, within' a
separate bug on the tracker, but actually keep it closed in a suspended
state until someone decides they want to actively move the issue forward
(i.e. someone has some interest in the code).

Developing and maintaining code that is only used by a single softphone
(that I know of), and no hardware devices (again, that I know of), just
seems like effort that could be better utilized elsewhere.

--
Leif Madsen
http://www.leifmadsen.com