[asterisk-dev] Navigating Voice Mail

Steve Wofford SW at uctrlit.com
Tue Dec 16 18:48:00 CST 2008

Can anyone point me in the direction for navigating Voice Mail based on
Asterisk. I am developing a Voice Mail to Email solution. I assume to
use the following:

1.       Create a SIP INVITE and use SDP to create an RTP session

2.       Use DTMF to pass users PIN to VM

3.       Enter "1" for new messages

4.       Capture the RTP stream from there on

5.       Encode the RTP to MP3 (or other low bandwidth file type) create
the attachment and email.

Question: How do I know when a message ends and differentiate between
the IVR, new message beginning and ending. I know the prompts are in
sound files on the Asterisk box.

This is just an overview, having never done this and since there are not
books on the subject I am wondering if anyone can point in the right
direction.

TIA,

Steve