[asterisk-dev] Finding Bad Event in Source Code

Mark Michelson mmichelson at digium.com
Thu Dec 11 07:22:38 CST 2008

Steve Wofford wrote:
> I am trying to reverse engineer a problem from a Linksys SPA400 which is
> based as Asterisk.
>

> I am trying to find out where the *489 Bad Event* message is being
> generated in the source code which I do have. I get the message when
> *SUBSCRIBE* using the *message-summary* event. However, I can use other
> events successfully. There are custom events created for CTI, however, I
> cannot seem to get generic SIP events working. I cannot find it anywhere.
>

> Hopefully after I find the source it will tell me why I am getting the
> error.

One thing you can do to help yourself out is to enable debugging in logger.conf
and setting the core debug level to be non-zero. I'm pretty sure that just about
all scenarios where Asterisk generates a 489 in response to a SUBSCRIBE will
print a debug message if the debug level is set high enough. 3 should be a high
enough level for this exercise.

 From there, it's a matter of finding where that debug message is generated and
why. My best bet is that you'll find your answer in the function
handle_request_subscribe() in chan_sip.c

Mark Michelson