[asterisk-dev] wctdm 4/8/24 VMWI generation capabilities

Doug Bailey dbailey at digium.com
Wed Dec 10 15:14:40 CST 2008

----- "Andrew Kohlsmith (lists)" <aklists at mixdown.ca> wrote:

> On December 10, 2008 04:55:02 am Alec Davis wrote:
> > I've been looking over the code for the wctdm and the wctdm24xxp
> looking
> > for clues on how to turn on the message waiting lights of various
> connected
> > analog phones.
>
> My analog phones receive MWI from my 6-year-old wctdm card without
> issue...
> Unless there is a particular kind of MWI you are looking for that
> isn't
> supported.
>
> The one phone is one of those Nortel sets that has the fancy services
> screen,
> and I was driving that with Asterisk's ADSI implementation for about
> as long
> (6 years).
>
> -A.

I may be wrong but I think he is looking for neon MWI which consists of
sending a series of >94 VDC pulses out of the fxs port.  These pulses
actually provide a voltage that can turn on a neon bulb like those that
you see in your finer hotel establishements.

Currently the wctdm and wctdm24xxp drivers cannot output those signals.
Silicon Labs does have an app note (AN-33) which describes how to implement
it.  However, it is not integrated in the drivers.

The MWI currently supported via dahdi is the FSK variant in which an FSK
message is sent in ON-HOOK transfer mode when MWI state changes or immediately
after placing the line on hook.  This mode of MWI has been there
for some time and is actually a function of chan_dahdi as opposed to the
drivers.

Doug