[asterisk-dev] res_jabber call backs

BJ Weschke bweschke at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 13:47:32 CDT 2008

John Todd wrote:
> At 2:24 PM -0400 2008/8/19, Ruddy Gbaguidi wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> As I see, in the asterisk 1.4, jabber is designed to send messages,
>> receive answers and display them in the cli.
>> I think we should add the feature that any asterisk module can register
>> some callbacks for a specific jabber user.
>> Then, from any module, we can request the client using his username and
>> register callbacks on message, on presence etc...
>> So, as soon as a message will be receive, the call back will be fire.
>>
>> What do you think about that ?
>>

> I believe there is some work being done on Asterisk receiving
> messages and processing them, but perhaps not exactly what you're
> looking for (yet?)  Maybe you could add those features for presence
> or event callback.  It sounds like you're talking about using XMPP as
> an API - or am I misunderstanding your question?
>

> As a side note, take a look here at the work that Philippe Sultan is doing:
>
>   http://svn.digium.com/view/asterisk/team/phsultan/jabberreceive/
>
>   http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2008-June/213525.html
>
> This is _really_ interesting stuff, and creative use of XMPP combined
> with Asterisk should allow all sorts of IM-based call transactions.
> I'd encourage anyone with interest in UC work to take a look at this
> branch, test the apps, and report your results so this can be merged
> into mainline if it seems stable and worthwhile.
>

> Next thing I'd like to see: XMPP events being received unsolicited
> and starting a dialplan event sequence with regexp parsing of the IM
> strings, sender, and IM metadata.  Brian Weschke was working on this
> - http://www.asterisk.org/node/48440  and
> http://svn.digium.com/view/asterisk/team/bweschke/ but I don't know
> where that stands right now.
>
> JT

 BJ Weschke was, but yes, it was and continues to be functional. :-)
The branch needs some updating, but given Russell's latest efforts and
milestones completed around core events, I'm starting to think that we
should also be spending time tying XMPP into that.

Bird's The Word Technologies, Inc.
http://www.btwtech.com/