[asterisk-dev] how asterisk corelate response to outgoing request with inbound request

Rakesh Dhandhukiya rakeshdhandhukiya at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 01:37:17 CDT 2007

Hi,

I am looking at sip channel code in asterisk. But, i m not able to find out
that how asterisk corelate response receive for outgoing request with
inbound request. I am describing this scenario in detail as follow:

IC Call Come to Asterisk:(e.g. SIP to SIP Call)
When incoming call comes to asterisk, at that time one dialog(e.g Dialog
A) created.(in terms of asterisk, channel created). Then call get routed
using routing information available in asterisk(e.g. extensions.conf). When
IC call routed at that time asterisk will create another dialog(e.g. Dialog
B), as asterisk is B2BUA. i.e. new channel get created. Now, when response(
e.g. 180 received) received for Dialog B (outgoing request), how asterisk
find out releated originating dialog (e.g Dialog A) to which it needs to
send response back.
One of the field in sip_pvt is owner channel. But, i think this is not
pointing to originating channel. So, how asterisk match response to outgoing
request with incoming request?
I know that finally both channel get bridged. But, it's based on final
response(e.g. 200 Ok). I think this code might be in channel.c or
app_dial.c.

If someone can help me then, it will be greate help for me to look at code.
Thanks in advance.

Rakesh