[asterisk-dev] reference to real device from sysfs

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Sat Sep 22 01:38:55 CDT 2007

Hi

I'm working on adding proper device-model support to Zaptel . Zaptel
currently uses sysfs classes, which are generally considered obsolete.
It also uses them in a way that does not allow adding porperties to
devices. And first and formost, there is no representation of spans,
where much of the more interesting information lies.

I started working on a branch in
http://svn.digium.com/svn/zaptel/team/tzafrir/sysfs .

One thing I'm currently stuck with is how to provide information about
what span the device is connected through ("physical" device in my
terminology, as the word "device is already overly used there).

There could be two possible ways:
1. Each span provides standard properties regarding the physical device
2. The span provides a kobject which is a reference to the device. And
instead of a set of properties, we use a symlink.

However, what happens when that information becomes invalid or when the
driver needs to disconnect the physical connection and hence release the
kobject?

Does it mean that Zaptel needs a separate notification for "physical
device released"? Or: "Physical device changed"?

Or does this hint that the information about the physical device better
be left out of Zaptel?

See also http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=10353

--
               Tzafrir Cohen