[asterisk-dev] MeetMe huge delays

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.clara.co.uk
Thu Sep 20 03:48:16 CDT 2007

Hi Paulo,

In article <b850d66b0709191000v758fa7d1n8e4400022b2b7ae7 at mail.gmail.com>,
Paulo Garcia <paulo.astdev at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm having some strange behavior using our channel driver with MeetMe
> application. I'm testing using Asterisk 1.2.24 and zaptel/ztdummy 1.2.20.1.
>
> After some research, I've find an old issue in bugtrack
> http://bugs.digium.com/bug_view_advanced_page.php?bug_id=0003599 that
> discribes exactly the problem I'm having.

That bug report is one of mine.

> 1> Using the "i" parameter in MeetMe, I have a huge delay between two
> participants. The delay is exacly the time of the enter message in the
> conference with the name of the participant.
> 2> Removing the "i", using only cM, for example I still have a little delay
> (about 500ms)
> 3> Using the "q" parameter, I have no delays at all.
>
> The http://bugs.digium.com/bug_view_advanced_page.php?bug_id=0003599 seems
> to be closed and fixed but I'm wonder to know if the problem still exists
> using non-zaptel channels or if I missed something to handle this in my
> channel driver.

Although the bug was closed and "fixed", I was never satisfied that it was
fixed correctly. The powers that be never adopted the asynchronous thread
approach that I submitted as my fix. Life was too short to keep arguing
about it.

I build a lot of MeetMe systems and incorporate my own patch into them
all. I expect I will still have to do so when I move to 1.4, but I haven't
tested 1.4 yet. It certainly doesn't appear to have asynchronous play.

Please try applying the last patch listed under that bug (head-v4). You
may need to apply quite a bit of it by hand, as I expect the patch doesn't
apply cleanly any more.

If it fixes your problem (as I expect it will), I can only suggest you do
as I do, and keep your own working version of app_meetme.c.

Something else that I found helped enormously was another patch that was
too late to be included in 1.2 (pity).

You can find it at bug 5374: http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=5374

There are various patches there, but the one I find best, and include in
all 1.2 systems that I build, is called 2005-10-04-3-asynchronous.patch

It is the channel.c mods that are important. The changes to app_milliwatt,
app_sms and app_chanspy will only matter if you use those modules.

> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Hope this helps. Please let the list know how you get on with the patches.

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield