[asterisk-dev] Thoughts on Asterisk release management

Mihai Balea mihai at hates.ms
Wed Sep 19 23:18:02 CDT 2007

On Sep 19, 2007, at 7:24 PM, Russell Bryant wrote:

> I think if we could get some community buy in on this, we will be
> dealing with
> much fewer new bugs at a time, which will make Asterisk a lot more
> stable in the
> end.  I really don't want to deal with building up a year to a year
> and a half
> of changes before people actually start using them ever again.
>
> What do you think?  Does this sound like a good idea?  Would people
> buy in to
> this and actually use the 1.5 releases?  If not, I am very
> interested to hear
> any other ideas people have that may improve the way we manage
> releases.  Feel
> free to point out other large open source projects that have
> release management
> that you find especially successful.

This is a good start, but I believe it will have a somewhat limited
effect.  There will be a larger number of people that will try out
the new RC versions, but only on limited, small scale systems.  This
will uncover some bugs but will be ineffective in outing an entire
class of problems that appear only under heavy usage and in large
deployments.

You have to understand that Asterisk is a mature product.  A lot more
people use it as a core revenue generator or as part of essential
business infrastructure now than a few years ago, in the 1.0 and 1.2
days.  These people will need massive incentives to assume the risk
of moving to a new and unproven version - by incentives I mean
compelling new features and a proven track of reliability.  Also,
many people have been burned by the 1.4 upgrade, so they will think
twice before attempting another one anytime soon.  So don't be
surprised if the 1.5 adoption will not b as wide as you hoped for.

I would like to offer a suggestion:  reduce the release interval to
more than one stable release per year.  I believe that a 6 months
release cycle would be more manageable.  The changes between releases
will be less radical and it will create more "stable points" in the
timeline of the product.  This would create larger set of available
releases, so people could choose according to their risk tolerance
and desire for new features.  Somebody that needs the latest features
does not need to wait up to a year for a stable release and at the
same time somebody who's very risk averse can stay one or two
releases behind.  Obviously, this will mean more maintenance work,
since more branches will be active at any given time, but I believe
it's worth it.

As an aside, I believe that Asterisk needs more test harnesses.  The
issue of people not wanting to deploy new versions on large systems
can be partially alleviated by a set of comprehensive load and stress
tests.  We are beginning to do that for chan_iax2, since this is what
we're focusing on, but I believe that many other components can
benefit from a similar approach.  If people would take the time and
create some test harnesses for their area of interest, we could
accumulate a set of tests that can be extremely helpful in increasing
the general confidence levels.

Anyways, just my $0.02

Cheers,
Mihai