[asterisk-dev] Proposal for changes to static queue configuration

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Wed Sep 19 10:26:40 CDT 2007

Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> Why not go with a similar method by which we have multiple sections in
> sip.conf and iax.conf, whereby we have different contexts differentiated by
> a single keyword?  In those cases, the keyword is 'type' and the values
> are 'user' and 'peer'.  In this case, the keyword could be 'queue':
>
> [1000](!)
> interface=SIP/1000
> autopause=no
>
> [mmichelson](1000)
> queue => queue1
> wrapuptime = 30
>
> [mmichelson](1000)
> queue => queue2
> wrapuptime = 10

I would even prefer having a "type" option here, as well, with valid of values
of "type=queue" and "type=member".  That way, you can keep everything in one
file.  However, I don't like defining multiple entries like this that really are
one single member.  I would like the config to reflect that mmichelson is in
fact, one member entity.

[queue1]
type=queue
somequeueoption=yes

[queue2]
type=queue
somequeueoption=no

[mmichelson]
type=member
queue=queue1,wrapuptime=30
queue=queue2,wrapuptime=10,someotheroption=foo

This syntax gets my vote.

However, aside from all of this, I really question whether it is worth putting
all of this effort into the current queue module for implementing new features.
 If you are to the point where you have time to implement new things, I would
_much_ rather that effort go toward developing a brand new queue system for
Asterisk.

Of course, a next generation app_queue effort is a lot more work than this, but
it needs to get done.  Any progress that can be made is important and helpful
toward one of the goals we have identified as a priority.

The first step for next generation queues is to gather requirements.  We
discussed this some at the developer conference in May.  We need to come up with
what features we must have, and what other features we would like to have, and
have it documented.  From there, we can figure out what design and coding
efforts need to get underway to make it happen.

--
Russell Bryant
Software Engineer