[asterisk-dev] AST_FRAME_DIGITAL/3G video calls

Ast Exp astexp at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 20:21:16 CDT 2007

On 9/14/07, Olle E Johansson <olle at voop.com> wrote:
> Friends,
>
> To try to summarize, I think we have two different issues on the table.
>
> * 3G video on ISDN - a call that is multiplexed to fit into one
>     ISDN channel, video and AMR audio.
>
> * ISDN data calls is another issue. I don't know how frequent they
>    are any more, but these are not really Asterisk calls and maybe
>     we should look into a Zaptel/MISDN application to handle
>     these, if it can be handled that low. Otherwise tunneling could
>     be a solution for these, maybe.
>     I'll drop this part of the discussion for now.

I'd like to point out something, reminded by Olle's past discussion
regarding unconventional uses (the usage of Asterisk by deaf people).
Right now, people are obsessing over something being demuxed and
force-fed into the core by type, or being a data pipe. Here's a
scenario where you will need both.

If I wanted to do a telepresence situation, then I am looking at
potentially audio, video, position advertisement, avatar device remote
control (commands and feedback), and potentially other data (at least
unknown natively to asterisk, even if the data type was being
advertised). I'll take a moment and point out the Giraffe prototype
being made by the guys at

http://www.headthere.com

to illustrate the example better. While using the modem functionality
is a way out, that seems poor. While I appreciate the desire to avoid
handling unknown data, isn't it ultimately up to the endpoints to
negotiate what they can and can't do?