[asterisk-dev] AST_FRAME_DIGITAL/3G video calls

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Thu Sep 13 17:31:47 CDT 2007

Klaus Darilion wrote:

> Yeah  - this would be great. Are there any official statements regarding
> AMR licenses from Digium (like they did with G.729)? For a single person
> it is impossibly to pay the setup fees and minimum fees for AMR licenses
> thus having an aggregation for the community is needed.

There are no official statements, but I can tell you that in general the
patent licensing for codecs is quite difficult to accomplish, and we
would need a quite significant demand for AMR codec licenses to even
justify doing the research for it. Clearly the market penetration of
G.729 made that an easy decision, but other codecs have far less demand.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
Director of Software Technologies