[asterisk-dev] AST_FRAME_DIGITAL

Thu Sep 13 17:25:00 CDT 2007

Matthew Fredrickson wrote:
> An existing infrastructure which fits somewhat more closely to this
> problem is the translator architecture.  A channel can advertise the
> capability of being able to pass H223 encapsulated data, and if both
> channels natively support that format it can be natively passed over,
> without any sort of reencapsulation.  If the destination channel does
> not natively support H223 encapsulated data (or bearer capability, if
> you would like to look at it that way) then it can go through a
> translator to do demultiplexing  for that channel.

Hi Matthew!

I'm no Asterisk expert yet so maybe I am wrong but I couldn't find a way
to do this with current architecture.

Currently, translation (finding best codec or translation path) is only
done for voice frames. This must changed to make exceptions for certain
subformats (like H223) - but this is far away from my knowledge.

But maybe adding 3G video demultiplexing to Asterisk'S translation
features would be an smart way and prevents us from hacking each ISDN
channel driver but still giving us the opportunity to do bridging
without demux/mux. Sounds great but I have no clue how to implement this.

regards
klaus