[asterisk-dev] AST_FRAME_DIGITAL

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Tue Sep 11 09:55:15 CDT 2007

Sergio Garcia Murillo wrote:
> The problem is that then I would have to patch chan_zap and chan_misdn and
> anyother
> isdn channel. Also due to license, not that i wouldn't like too, my code
> won't go into
> the asterisk repository, so i'll have to worry about each change in them and
> maintain
> multiple versions.. not sounds good to me..

Yes, if you want this feature supported by multiple channel drivers, then you
would have to patch all of them.  However, the amount of changes which each
channel driver needs is an implementation detail.  It is certainly possible that
the changes could be made in such a way that they are not very invasive to each
channel driver, and the code for decoding the stream only exists in one place.

What is the issue with licensing?  Is it due to the license of some code you
would like to use, or is it a decision you have made?

I can tell you right now that you will not be able to convince me that we should
add an opaque frame type for this situation.  It is completely against the
Asterisk architecture.  As you said, the stream you are handling is in fact
voice and video.  Asterisk has explicit handling for voice and video, and the
streams should be passed into Asterisk using those frame types.

--
Russell Bryant
Software Engineer