[asterisk-dev] AMI 2.0 ?

Lee Jenkins lee at datatrakpos.com
Thu Oct 25 21:24:14 CDT 2007

Philipp Kempgen wrote:
> Lee Jenkins wrote:
>
>> What I would like to see is some more standardization with the AMI.  XML would
>> be wonderful to see in replace of the current output which seems more designed
>> for character display.
>
> XML parsing needs more processing power if done properly,
> so why do that?
>
> If you need XML have a look at the AJAM which can send its output
> in JSON format. Convert that to XML if you absolutely have to.
>
> What I'd like to see is the ability to subscribe to specific
> events on the AMI and to mute others (like NewExten).

OK, but if not xml then certainly something a bit more parser friendly should be
in order...

Personally, I don't see that much more overhead with XML assuming liberal use of
attributes on elements.  Then again, I don't mind a little bloat for small
requests like AMI in favor of XML.  XML is superb for representing complex
structures that are difficult to represent with name/value pair packets.

I too, would like to be able to selectively subscribe to AMI events.  Doing
this, we'd still have bandwidth savings even using XML. ;)

--
Warm Regards,

Lee