[asterisk-dev] merge policies, supported branches, API/ABI freeze (was Re: Asterisk 1.6 Release Management Proposal)

Brian Capouch brianc at palaver.net
Sat Oct 20 12:00:23 CDT 2007

Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 20, 2007 at 01:31:23PM +0200, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
>>
>>Yeah, right. There is not enough testing done as-is for trunk. Who are
>>those brave souls that will test this "broken-by-definition" branch?
>

> It is not "broken by definition", it is "probably ok but it might
> have some rough edge". Same trunk as it is now, in fact, and if
> committers are responsible people and treat trunk with due care,
> it is not so crazy to run trunk.

I always have trunk on an embedded machine which I run at home as my
"first-line" server.  It isn't the one that stresses things the most
(i.e. it doesn't use a lot of the features) but it is in constant daily
use, which I see as a Good Thing.

Luigi's comment is spot-on; during the course of the past couple of
years since I began regularly (every 3-4 days) building trunk, there
have only been a couple of times there have been major problems.
Overall, it's quite stable.

I wish more people would run it and watch it, both for the sake of
developers and because it would make some of my "do I smell a rat?"
posts about its behavior feel less lonesome :-)

b.

believed to be clean.