[asterisk-dev] merge policies, supported branches, API/ABI freeze (was Re: Asterisk 1.6 Release Management Proposal)

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at icir.org
Sat Oct 20 09:22:32 CDT 2007

On Sat, Oct 20, 2007 at 01:31:23PM +0200, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 20, 2007 at 02:16:19AM -0700, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> > My point is that you should never ever see the same commit applied
> > within minutes to these two branches (irrespective of the order),
> > otherwise the "testing" phase is obviously being ignored.
> > The latter is what happens with the current commit policy.
>
> Yeah, right. There is not enough testing done as-is for trunk. Who are
> those brave souls that will test this "broken-by-definition" branch?

It is not "broken by definition", it is "probably ok but it might
have some rough edge". Same trunk as it is now, in fact, and if
committers are responsible people and treat trunk with due care,
it is not so crazy to run trunk.
That's one difference between trunk and my own branch
where i may commit unfinished code while i am working on it.

Then if you say that tinderboxes to do builds on various platforms,
that's an orthogonal subject and i surely agree it is a good thing.

Anyways - i'll keep quiet now on this subject.

cheers
luigi