[asterisk-dev] Asterisk 1.6 Release Management Proposal

Michiel van Baak michiel at vanbaak.info
Wed Oct 17 13:43:12 CDT 2007

On 12:53, Wed 17 Oct 07, Russell Bryant wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> A few weeks ago, I proposed to this list that we create a new release series
> that is managed with a short release cycle to introduce smaller sets of new
> features.  I also wanted to increase the emphasis that we put on testing new
> sets of functionality for potential regressions.
>
> The feedback on this list was positive, as was all of the feedback I have
> received directly.  I spoke to people about this a lot at Astricon, and received
> no negative feedback.
>
> So, I would like to move ahead with formalizing this new release series,
> Asterisk 1.6.  I have documented the new release policy that will apply to this
> release series, as well as some of the history that inspired these changes to
> release management.
>
> I have included the document and would appreciate any feedback from the
> development community.
>
> In short, as long as there are no significant disagreements, I plan to create an
> Asterisk 1.6.0-beta1 snapshot next week.  I will continue to make beta tarballs
> until we are comfortable moving to release candidate status.  I will then create
> an Asterisk 1.6.0 branch and start making release candidate snapshots, named
> 1.6.0-rc1, etc.  After a reasonable amount of testing and no known regressions
> introduced by the new changes in 1.6, I will release 1.6.0.  The 1.6 release
> series will continue to be managed in the manner described in the included
> document.
>
> The current levels of maintenance of Asterisk 1.2 and 1.4 will not change at any
> point in the near future.
>
> Let me know if you have any questions, comments, or concerns.
>
> Thanks,

Russel,

Looks good. A lot better then what is in place now.

Not really important for me because I dont have commit
access but I wonder how the merging from 1.4 to 1.6 to trunk
will go. I know how it works now (commit to 1.4 and block in
trunk otherwise it will go to trunk 'automagically').

Will there be branches with automerge from a 1.6.X
subrelease?

--

Michiel van Baak
michiel at vanbaak.eu