[asterisk-dev] how does a channel driver know the result of codec negotiation ?

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at icir.org
Sun Oct 14 14:47:11 CDT 2007

On Sat, Oct 13, 2007 at 09:37:20AM +0200, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Luigi Rizzo wrote:
>
> > i know - didn't want to make the story too long :)
> > (i suppose it is also a problem to pass the information across
> > a chain of asterisks)
>
> Yes, that will be complicated to solve properly as well.
>
> > ok will keep in mind. Any idea of how other PBX address this issue ?
>
> I don't know of very many PBX products that support videophones, and

but as you said the problem exists in general, even for audio-only
calls where the PBX is not in the media stream (and the two ends
use a different technology - e.g. probably chan_sip handles this
case already when connectiong two sip endpoints just because they
happen to talk the same language ?)

Anyways, what would be wrong with the obvious solution of notify
the caller's channel driver once the remote party reports supported
formats ?  I don't know exactly if we already have a suitable
callback in struct ast_channel_tech but given the abundance of
entries there i suppose one more wouldn't harm too much.

cheers
luigi