[asterisk-dev] Zaptel in the Kernel tree

Bob bob_co at cox.net
Tue Oct 2 01:07:04 CDT 2007

I've been developing hardware and software for Asterisk for 2 years now and
I've managed not to change anything from the standard release code. My code
and hardware so far have been entirely in addition to all of the released
code. I have a MWI neon bulb patch to zaptel that works with Rhino channel
banks that is being used in hotels around the globe but it never has reached
the zaptel trunk code.

Somehow, when the kernel API changes and it affects my zaptel drivers, you
guys get that memo, and I don't.

I could check my drivers into the zaptel tree as Tzafrir did, but I would in
no way be able to devote the kind of time that he does to the project. Even
after 2 years of development, I don't have the community skills to attempt
to modify the project.

I exchanged a few emails with the kernel guys. They took my drivers, and
zaptel as a dependency and incorporated them both into the 2.6.21 kernel
tree. I never gave them the go-ahead with the patch. I tested my stuff, but
there was no way that I could put a dent in any comprehensive zaptel
testing.

My inclination is to get the whole project into the kernel tree and replace
the linux telephony config option with zaptel if for no other reason than to
expose this project as the leader that it is in linux telephony.

I'm probably not the guy to do it but if no one else does, I don't see
anything prohibiting me from doing it. I'm almost certain at this point that
me and a couple of kernel dudes is better than nothing.

Feedback?

0x0b0b