[asterisk-dev] Is full PRI Signaling supported in Asterisk?

John Lange john.lange at open-it.ca
Thu Nov 29 12:23:23 CST 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 12:03 -0600, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> John Lange wrote:
>
> > I'm a bit surprised this isn't supported since it seems this type of
> > signaling is not a particularly rare thing.
>
> It's never come up before in discussions here or on -users that I can
> remember.

Seems that is true. I googled the crap out of it and turned up basically
nothing which is why I was wondering if it was more commonly know under
a different name. Just seemed strange to me because it's a prominent
feature of the Nortel BCMs and god knows there are zillion of those
deployed so I just though someone somewhere would have tried to
integrate Asterisk and a BCM and run into the same issue.

>  Keep in mind that the IE space in Q.931 is basically
> open-ended, and there's no way we can just 'pass through' everything we
> see unless we are directly bridging two PRIs together.

Is there a way to directly bridge two calls together? In this scenario
we want to bridge everything except one specific DID.

>  If the PRI calls
> are being turned into Asterisk channels, then any information that you
> want to capture from the Q.931 signaling has to have some place to live
> on the Asterisk channel itself and some method to be sent back out when
> a new PRI call is placed.

Creating channel variables for each of these things just like is done
for callerid and ANI etc. would be nice but I understand there is little
demand for it.

Now that I know it is not currently supported asterisk/libpri I can
pursue a programming change on the BCM and the PRI as being the best way
to solve this issue.

Just for the sake of argument, if it was added to libpri approximately
how long would it take to be issued in a release? Would it have to wait
until 1.6 or could it be issued as 1.4.2 ?

Thanks for all the info.

Regards,

John