[asterisk-dev] res_snmp/Asterisk 1.4/net snmp problems

Patrick asterisk-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Thu Nov 29 07:05:59 CST 2007

Hi Kristian,

On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 23:46 -0500, Kristian Kielhofner wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   I'm trying to compile Asterisk 1.4.14 for AstLinux.  I have Net-SNMP
> v5.3.1 compiled and installed in my environment.  The full set of
> configure and build options can be found here:

Have you tried the latest version, 5.4.1 or 5.3.2 rc1? The first one
works for me on CentOS 5/Fedora 8 & Asterisk 1.4.14.

> http://astlinux.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/*checkout*/astlinux/branches/asterisk-beta/package/netsnmp/netsnmp.mk?revision=1396
>
>   Anyways, with a little massaging I can get Asterisk 1.4.14 to build
> with res_snmp.  So far so good.  However, trying to start up Asterisk
> with autoload=yes results in the following error:

Once I figured out I needed to have lm-sensors-devel installed I didn't
even need to do any massaging and building res_snmp worked straight out
of the box. What kind of massaging did you have to do?

> pbx tmp # asterisk -c
[snip]
> ..asterisk: can't resolve symbol 'netsnmp_ncompare_netsnmp_index'
> pbx tmp #
>
>   Uh oh.  That's not good.  I ran Asterisk with strace and put the
> relevant output up here:
>
> http://pastebin.ca/801320
>
>   Looking at it, everything looks good.  Even looking at the relevant
> libs reveals the proper symbols (I think):

I can't see anything wrong with it either :(

> pbx lib # for i in `ls libnetsnmp*`
> > do
> > echo $i ; strings $i | grep netsnmp_ncompare_netsnmp_index
> > done

Here is my output:

libnetsnmp.a
netsnmp_ncompare_netsnmp_index
netsnmp_ncompare_netsnmp_index
netsnmp_ncompare_netsnmp_index
libnetsnmpagent.a
libnetsnmpagent.so
libnetsnmpagent.so.15
libnetsnmpagent.so.15.1.0
libnetsnmphelpers.a
netsnmp_ncompare_netsnmp_index
netsnmp_ncompare_netsnmp_index
libnetsnmphelpers.so
netsnmp_ncompare_netsnmp_index
libnetsnmphelpers.so.15
netsnmp_ncompare_netsnmp_index
libnetsnmphelpers.so.15.1.0
netsnmp_ncompare_netsnmp_index
libnetsnmpmibs.a
libnetsnmpmibs.so
libnetsnmpmibs.so.15
libnetsnmpmibs.so.15.1.0
libnetsnmp.so
netsnmp_ncompare_netsnmp_index
netsnmp_ncompare_netsnmp_index
libnetsnmp.so.15
netsnmp_ncompare_netsnmp_index
netsnmp_ncompare_netsnmp_index
libnetsnmp.so.15.1.0
netsnmp_ncompare_netsnmp_index
netsnmp_ncompare_netsnmp_index
libnetsnmptrapd.a
libnetsnmptrapd.so
libnetsnmptrapd.so.15
libnetsnmptrapd.so.15.1.0

I looked in the ChangeLog of both net-snmp 5.4.1 and 5.3.2 rc1 but
couldn't find an entry related to netsnmp-ncompare_netsnmp_index.

Sorry I can't be of much help. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can
give you a solution.

Regards,
Patrick