[asterisk-dev] [asterisk-commits] rizzo: trunk r89452 - in?/trunk: acinclude.m4 configure configure.ac

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at icir.org
Tue Nov 20 14:40:38 CST 2007

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 01:31:07PM -0600, Steven Critchfield wrote:
> The FreeBSD 4.11 you run was released 1-25-2005, or pretty long ago as
> far as OSS software is concerned. Shouldn't we consider this to be an

It was just an example. For what matters, autoconf generates code
for a 30 years old version of /bin/sh for sake of compatibility.
Otherwise, the generated 'configure' file  would use functions and
local vars and would be 10-20 times smaller than it is.

But again that's not the point. The point is that having the
generated file in the repository makes life easier or faster to
people who cannot run the autotools themselves, while not bothering
at all the others (since they can run 'bootstrap.sh' anyways, as they
should if the 'configure' wasn't there).

If you want to mention the extra size in updating sources - ./configure
is 2MB, which probably takes less than 30s to download at yesterday's
dsl speeds even if completely regenerated.

cheers
luigi