[asterisk-dev] trunk working under windows!

C. Bergström cbergstrom at netsyncro.com
Tue Nov 20 12:43:32 CST 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 20:23 +0200, Zoa wrote:
> Cool, i'll help out a bit with the windows port,  i will start right
> away with a new project on asteriskguru making nightly executable builds
> and installers - will post the links in -users when i'm done.
>
> Well done luigi, this will make it a lot easier for a lot of non linux
> guys to make their first steps in the asterisk world

I'm normally just a lurker, but supporting too many platforms and
especially winblowz is a waste of time.  From a seemy zealot point of
view I've seen these problems in the past with app designed to run on a
posix based platform get ported to umm...

1) The initial effort of the port was done by xyz.. Later xyz quits,
gets a job or has a baby.. Then there's this half maintained port with
(abandoned users) pretty consistently bugging devs who can't/don't want
to maintain the port.  Not to mention the first time a security
vulnerability comes out and there's no patch for xyz platform..

2) Effort spent on cross platform compatibility could be better spent
elsewhere..  iow.. What gain does this really bring the community

3) The unspoken and sometimes wrongly mistaken threshold that exists to
keep good software out of the hands of point-n-click 'admins'

I'm not saying this is or could be the case.. I'm only bringing up a few
points that come to mind.

[This will be my only comment on the whole topic and apologies if I wake
any trolls.. other than myself]

Otherwise.. great work and lots of success.

./C