[asterisk-dev] SIP Outbound Registrations

Johan Wilfer johan at wilfer.se
Fri Nov 16 23:45:25 CST 2007

Hello,

I've tried to understand how Asterisk handles outbound sip registrations. In
production I am using 1.4 and when I add
more than one account that uses the same sip server, only one of the will
function. On the other one I get a error-tone,
while calling. I read something about this behaviour and that it is a
limitation of the Asterisk sip implementation.
This is 100% reproducible, Asterisk claims both numbers are registerd, I see
the sip dialogues with the registration
data, but only one of the numbers work at the time. My pstn-provider use
OpenSER.

Yesterday I started to play with the current svn source for Asterisk, and
sadly this is still the way Asterisk behaves.
For my production server I've solved the problem by using the excellent
service at mysipswitch.com. But this isn't
the way I would like to have it...

I have to ask, isn't this a very big limitation of Asterisk? Or am I doing
it terribly wrong?

Greetings
Johan Wilfer