[asterisk-dev] LUA in Asterisk. was [svn-commits] tilghman: trunk r88250 - in /trunk: ./ build_tools/ configs/ include/asterisk...

Victor Sergeev sergeevvictor at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 18:39:32 CDT 2007

Dmitry Andrianov wrote:
>> As LUA is already in Asterisk tree and will be in the next stable
>> release it seems to be an obvious choice for any new dialplan.
>>

> That is very personal, subjective opinion, you know. I have strong
> experience with ANY language you named except for LUA. To be honest, I
> haven't ever heard about LUA before this patch.

Its not widely used for general purpose programming but its greatly used
as embedded language. Many game engines use it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lua_(programming_language)
http://www.lua.org

> Speaking about Asterisk users, a lot of people already know AEL. How
> many of them know LUA? Yes AEL is not "fully featured" programming
> language and yes it is not ideal. But it is much closer to "regular"
> programming languages then original dialplan and also it is well known
> by Asterisk community. This is why I believe there is no need what to
> support - AEL or LUA - they can peacefully coexist.

Check extensions.lua written in Lua:
http://svn.digium.com/view/asterisk/trunk/configs/extensions.lua.sample?view=markup&pathrev=88250

Its pretty obvious what it does. If you know Perl, AEL... its just a
matter of minutes to figure out how to re-write any AEL dialplan in LUA.