[asterisk-dev] RTCP RTPQOS on two SIP bridged channels

Martin Vít vit at lam.cz
Thu May 31 01:31:04 MST 2007

John Todd wrote:
> It is probably not better to force your traffic (or media) through
> some other device in order to collect metrics.  I can't see in any
> circumstance where that would be 'better', 'easier', or would have any
> significant value.
absolutly right.

Blitzrage on irc gave me idea how to get both RTCP stats at the end of
two bridged SIP channels. Although i dont like this method because of
use Local channel, it works. What would be nice is simple method, how to
grab this stats from both channels at once in one h extension.

-----------

exten => xxx,1,Dial(Local/context1....)
exten => h,1,set(CDR(qos1)=CHANNEL(rtpqos,....)

[context1]

exten => xxx,1,Dial(SIP/....)
exten => h,1,set(CDR(qos2)=CHANNEL(rtpqos,...)

-----------

> There is a misnomer in the original message which may be causing
> confusion here: "SIP traffic" isn't what you're pushing through the
> "proxy".  In order to observe RTCP messages, you would have to push
> all of your RTP traffic through some other proxy and extract the
> real-time messages.  SIP is signalling, RTP is media (including
> RTCP.)  It seems that Asterisk would be a more efficient place to do
> this if you were already looking at the media as a B2BUA, and if
> Asterisk was NOT a B2BUA, then you're not going to get the information
> unless it's handed back as part of a SIP BYE  (as some Cisco devices do.)
>
> If the original commenter REALLY meant SIP, then I assume this draft
> (vq-rtcpxr) has been implemented on equipment that I've never heard of:

>   http://www.tools.ietf.org/html/draft-johnston-sipping-rtcp-summary-08
>

> JT
>

> At 11:59 AM -0400 2007/5/30, Alex Balashov wrote:
>> On Tue, 29 May 2007, Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:
>>
>>> Alternatively force all SIP traffic through a proxy that does this.
>>
>>   That would almost certainly be easier and more portable.
>>
>> --
>> Alex Balashov
>> Evariste Systems
>> Web    : http://www.evaristesys.com/