[asterisk-dev] RTCP RTPQOS on two SIP bridged channels

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Wed May 30 12:31:02 MST 2007

It is probably not better to force your traffic (or media) through
some other device in order to collect metrics.  I can't see in any
circumstance where that would be 'better', 'easier', or would have
any significant value.

There is a misnomer in the original message which may be causing
confusion here: "SIP traffic" isn't what you're pushing through the
"proxy".  In order to observe RTCP messages, you would have to push
all of your RTP traffic through some other proxy and extract the
real-time messages.  SIP is signalling, RTP is media (including
RTCP.)  It seems that Asterisk would be a more efficient place to do
this if you were already looking at the media as a B2BUA, and if
Asterisk was NOT a B2BUA, then you're not going to get the
information unless it's handed back as part of a SIP BYE  (as some
Cisco devices do.)

If the original commenter REALLY meant SIP, then I assume this draft
(vq-rtcpxr) has been implemented on equipment that I've never heard
of:

   http://www.tools.ietf.org/html/draft-johnston-sipping-rtcp-summary-08

JT