[asterisk-dev] Docs converted to TeX?

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Tue May 22 12:33:59 MST 2007

Jared Smith wrote:
> I've advocated using DocBook for quite a while, but it's always turned
> into a "my favorite is better than your favorite" religious war.

Right.  It's just that simply suggesting a different format gets us nowhere.
However, with that said, I would be perfectly fine with using docbook if someone
wants to go through the trouble of getting us started by converting what is
there.  I didn't use it originally because I didn't know DocBook, but I knew LaTeX.

> Items I can add to the discussion are:
>
> 1) I have a lot of experience of DocBook, and am willing to donate
> some spare cycles to convert other formats to DocBook and produce
> HTML/PDF/TeX versions.

That would be awesome.

> 2) There's a possibility we can use some of the documentation that has
> already been written for Asterisk: The Future of Telephony, which is
> already in DocBook format.  I'll be speaking with the great folks at
> O'Reilly and make sure they're OK with us doing that.

That is certainly a very huge thing that would easily justify switching to using
the docbook format.  I don't mind maintaining a branch if you would be
interested in working on this over a bit of time.

--
Russell Bryant
Software Engineer