[asterisk-dev] Re: Virtual IP Adresses and SIP requests failing...

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Sun May 6 10:53:21 MST 2007

On Sunday 06 May 2007, Christopher Aloi wrote:
> On 5/5/07,  Tilghman Lesher <tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com> wrote:
> >  On Saturday 05 May 2007, Sergey Okhapkin wrote:
> > > Yes, it's the expected IP stack behavior when the service is bound to
> > > 0.0.0.0. Asterisk sends the repy to the address from which the
> > > request came, it has no control which src address to use.
> >
> > Actually, it does control it; it uses the Linux routing map to select
> > which address it uses as its source address.  There has been a request
> > for some time to allow Asterisk to reply on the same address on which
> > it received packets, but I don't know that there's been any successful
> > patch so far.  You're certainly welcome to add your efforts to getting
> > Asterisk to do that, though.
>
> So what your saying is that my ultimate goal (2 ip's on different
> networks) is obtainable; but that I should be looking into my route table
> and not Asterisk, am I following correctly?

Specifically, you should be using two separate network interfaces, one for
each network.  Multi-homed is supported today.  Multiple addresses per
interface is not.  Only the primary address on each interface is used, and
we use the routing table to determine on which interface to send a packet.

>  I wasn't able to find a bug report indicating this behavior, do you
> think this is something I should open for review?

It's not a bug; it is simply a feature we haven't fully implemented yet.  The
problem is that this is not easy to accomplish, and it seems that every
platform does it differently.

--
Tilghman