[asterisk-dev] Manager changing to version 1.1

Matthew Fredrickson creslin at digium.com
Fri May 4 15:22:13 MST 2007

On May 4, 2007, at 4:24 PM, Sean Bright wrote:

> I'm good with using the major version, assuming that nothing about the
> AMI protocol is different within a single major version.  Can that
> really be guaranteed?  If not, a protocol version is probably a better
> way to go, so that connecting applications can adjust their behavior
> if need be.
>
> On 5/4/07, Russell Bryant <russell at digium.com> wrote:
>> ----- "Olle E Johansson" <olle at voop.com> wrote:
>> > I got no protests, so my conclusion is that you all are OK with
>> > changing the manager version to 1.1
>>  > and implementing these changes to existing commands in svn trunk
>> > only. Current 1.2 and 1.4 releases
>> > will not change.
>>
>> Thanks a lot for the cleanups.  I'm sure it will be much appreciated
>> by the users of the manager interface.
>>
>> Regarding the version reported when you first connect, I think that
>> we should just switch the "1.0" to report ASTERISK_VERSION, or maybe
>> just "1.6" in trunk, and whatever the major version is in the
>> future.  However, I'm not going to argue too hard either way, since
>> I'd rather hear the opinions from the people that write manager
>> applications.

I think a protocol version would probably be more useful, unless we
plan on changing it with every release of asterisk (which, IMHO
probably won't happen).  It's much easier to track what version you're
compatible to talk to with a protocol version rather than maintaining a
list somewhere of manager API changes across asterisk versions.

Matthew Fredrickson