[asterisk-dev] Beginner question - Opening project in kdevelop

Mihai Balea mihai at hates.ms
Tue May 1 04:22:01 MST 2007

On May 1, 2007, at 5:14 AM, Diego Iastrubni wrote:

> On Monday 30 April 2007 18:31, Mihai Balea wrote:
>> If you're familiar with kdevelop, you might want to look into
>> kscope.  It's a leaner version, designed for C projects.  It really
>> helps when you're trying to familiarize yourself with a large code
>> base (like Asterisk).  If you find that you're often asking "where is
>> this function/structure defined?" or "where is this function
>> called?", then kscope might be a better tool for you
> ... because kdevelop cannot do this...? (on the bottom you will see
> a button
> which has the label "ctags", trust me it does not make you coffee).
>
> While kscope is great for editing files, but it does not answer the
> question
> of how do I debug, or how do I compile. One of the reasons I use
> kdevelop is
> F8 to compile, F4 to find the warning or error, F6 to execute.

The problem, as you detail in your email, is that kdevelop likes to
take over each and every aspect of building the project.  If you're
dealing with with existing code that diverges even a little from the
automake/autoconf/make canon, you will spend an inordinate amount of
time trying to set up your project.

So whenever I'm faced with the choice of spending half a day trying
to set up my project vs spending two minutes for that and then doing
whatever I wanted to do with the code, well, I'll take the later.

Plus kscope starts up an order of magnitude faster than kdevelop.

But don't get me wrong, kdevelop is a great IDE, all I'm saying is
that it might not be suited for all situations.

Mihai