[asterisk-dev] The New CDR system

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Fri Mar 30 13:25:07 MST 2007

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007, Russell Bryant wrote:

> On the implementation side of things, I am wondering if there is a good
> reason the CDR information has to stay on the channel itself until the
> channel gets hung up, or if the events can be fired off individually and
> handled as they occur.

CDR's should be written as they occur.

> Once I have the ability to share events over IAX2, this would open up some
> really cool possibilities.  For example, you could have a cluster of 10
> Asterisk servers handling calls and generating CDR events.  Then, you could
> have a master CDR server that has subscribed to these events from each
> server, collects all of them, and logs them into the same place.

We already do this with MySQL. Funneling the CDR's through IAX sounds
interesting, but then we would have to run an instance of Asterisk
(possibly on our database server) just for the purpose of taking the CDRS
out of the IAX stream and then communicating with our database.

What would the advantage be to send the CDRs over IAX?

Thanks in advance,