[asterisk-dev] Request of Vote on 5208 - Results: Fail; 5208 will be closed, no action taken

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Fri Mar 16 09:54:57 MST 2007

On Friday 16 March 2007 11:18, Jason Parker wrote:
> ----- "Steve Murphy" <murf at digium.com> wrote:
> > Well, I perceive the attitude at Digium is, that they'd
> > rather not blow $$$ or time on stuff that is not generally
> > useful to Asterisk users. There are more important, more
> > generally useful things that can be done.
> >
> > It isn't really a vote on spending money, it's a vote to test the
> > water
> > and see how many users would like to see the stuff in Asterisk. If
> > Digium
> > didn't have any budget, it wouldn't spend the bucks, maybe even if
> > a thousand votes came in. (but if **that** many people were voting,
> > somebody would surely cough up some bucks and make it happen ;)
> >
> > It would be the exact same issue if I'd gone out and created a
> > Paypal acct of my own, and threw some of my money into it, and
> > maybe got lucky
> > and had some other folks throw in a few bucks, too, for new sounds
> > in Asterisk, and I wanted to see which suggestions/requests for
> > sounds took
> > highest priority...
> >
> > But your vote could make a difference! That makes it 4; and we
> > would probably proceed if 5 or more came in... in this case, at
> > least.
>
> My vote doesn't really count, but here's my opinion - to perhaps
> spark some discussion on the matter.
>
> I think anything that can be reasonably used in a URL would be
> useful.  Things like ":/?&" and probably "_%" would be at the top of
> my list, if they aren't already there.

I'll add my vote to this, and I'll reiterate what Critch already said:
people do not feel comfortable telling Digium what to spend money on.
Yes, I think we all agree that these sounds would be useful.  In fact,
I'd go a step further and say that all characters in the ASCII range of
32-126 should have sounds for SayAlpha.  It seems strange that this was
not already the case.

--
Tilghman