[asterisk-dev] Request of Vote on 5208 - Results: Fail; 5208 will be closed, no action taken

Steve Murphy murf at digium.com
Fri Mar 16 08:59:48 MST 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-16 at 10:24 -0500, critch wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-03-16 at 09:02 -0600, Steve Murphy wrote:
> > It's been 3 days, and the vote on 5208 was poor enough
> > to justify dropping the request.
> >
> > Only 3 votes for proceeding, which is not enough.
> >
> > Many thanks for those who did respond.
> >
> > 40% of all open bugs right now are enhancement requests and a good share
> > have patches. My guess is that we can close them all; if we ran this
> > process on them,
> > none would make it, eh?
>
> I could just mean there are enough of us who don't have an opinion for
> or against the way Digium spends it's money.
>
> I see use in the suggestion, but do not consider myself qualified to
> suggest Digium spend money on it. So my non-vote really is one for it
> and one of my vote shouldn't make a difference.

Well, I perceive the attitude at Digium is, that they'd
rather not blow $$$ or time on stuff that is not generally
useful to Asterisk users. There are more important, more
generally useful things that can be done.

It isn't really a vote on spending money, it's a vote to test the water
and see how many users would like to see the stuff in Asterisk. If
Digium
didn't have any budget, it wouldn't spend the bucks, maybe even if a
thousand votes came in. (but if **that** many people were voting,
somebody would surely cough up some bucks and make it happen ;)

It would be the exact same issue if I'd gone out and created a Paypal
acct of my own, and threw some of my money into it, and maybe got lucky
and had some other folks throw in a few bucks, too, for new sounds in
Asterisk, and I wanted to see which suggestions/requests for sounds took
highest priority...

But your vote could make a difference! That makes it 4; and we would
probably proceed if 5 or more came in... in this case, at least.

--
Steve Murphy
Software Developer