[asterisk-dev] Re: chan_cellphone and Asterisk 1.2.x

Patrick asterisk-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Thu Mar 8 20:02:59 MST 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 12:33 +1100, David Bowerman wrote:
> Hi Niki,
>
> I think this is ultimately a question for the Digium folk as to the
> fate of chan_cellphone.
>
> If chan_cellphone becomes part of standard Asterisk codebase, then
> that is the place for it, and i'm more than happy to maintain both a
> 1.2 and 1.4 version.
>
> If it does not become part of the standard codebase, then I will put
> it somewhere as a 'third-party' addon and maintain both versions.
>
> Until this decision is made, I dont want to set up a third-party repository.
>
> It is pretty stable now, and im aware of quite a few people using it,
> so hopefully this will be resolved soon.

I would really appreciate it if you could upload a 1.2 version of your
latest and greatest chan_cellphone to http://www.asterisk-backports.org
That's the place were 1.2 backports happily live compared to
bugs.digium.com where they are usually frowned upon. I think you will
not see chan_cellphone become part of 1.2 and probably neither of 1.4 if
I understand Digium's policy correctly. Trunk seems your only option so
basically 1.6.

As an average user that would like to try out new stuff like
chan_cellphone on top of 1.2 or even 1.4 that policy doesn't do anything
for me as I would have to run trunk which I rather not. Or I have to
wait for 1.6 by which time I could be sitting on a cloud admiring my
shiny new wings while playing the harp.

If only Asterisk would follow the same dev model as Linux 2.6 so it
becomes easier to include new features.

Thanks,
Patrick