[asterisk-dev] A plea for Zap Sanity

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Fri Mar 2 16:00:10 MST 2007

On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 02:11:27PM -0700, Steve Murphy wrote:
> I know that it is an unrealistic expectation, as a developer, to bend
> things to make things easier for me, but forgive me this attempt.
>
> I often skip from 1.2 to trunk, to 1.4, and back again. Each time, I
> have to a very expensive operation of updating and reinstalling the
> zaptel project, in order for me to compile or test the branch. And each
> version of zaptel erases the previous installation.

Also note that recent changes in zaptel 1.2 (at around 1.2.13)
backported many changes from trunk. Not sure about 1.4 exactly.

> The Plea:
>
> Can we not install zaptel in such a way that all 3 versions (1.2, 1.4,
> and trunk) can peacefully co-exist, so they can be installed once, and
> any asterisk build will just reference the applicable version?

What prevents Asterisk 1.2 from building with zaptel trunk?

What prevents Asterisk trunk from building with zaptel 1.2.0 ?

That is: what technically prevents you from doing it? What are the
errors? Or what autoconf test fails?

Most Asterisk users don't need the shiny new features of zaptel and can
probably use any zaptel 1.2 to build it, after some proper adjustment.
Maybe we'll need a --with-zaptel-transcoder or similar to guarantee that
the version of zaptel supportsthe transcoder interface.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755                    jabber:tzafrir at jabber.org
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com