[asterisk-dev] A plea for Zap Sanity

Steve Murphy murf at digium.com
Fri Mar 2 14:11:27 MST 2007

I know that it is an unrealistic expectation, as a developer, to bend
things to make things easier for me, but forgive me this attempt.

I often skip from 1.2 to trunk, to 1.4, and back again. Each time, I
have to a very expensive operation of updating and reinstalling the
zaptel project, in order for me to compile or test the branch. And each
version of zaptel erases the previous installation.

The Plea:

Can we not install zaptel in such a way that all 3 versions (1.2, 1.4,
and trunk) can peacefully co-exist, so they can be installed once, and
any asterisk build will just reference the applicable version?

Right now, after a 1.4 build, to work on 1.2, I have to: (maybe, but to
be safe, update and rebuild zaptel for 1.2) reinstall 1.2; then I can
build and install asterisk. If I want to run asterisk, I may have to
remove the zaptel drivers from the kernel and reprobe the newly
installed versions. But not always!

If they can co-exist, I can build asterisk without a reinstall of the
zaptel drivers. I may have to reinstall if I want to run and test, play
with rmmod & modprobe, but that's not real demanding. I think my ratio
of running to test is maybe 1/2 or 1/3 of the times I want to simply
build asterisk, especially for small tweaks of asterisk for the bug db.

Of course, this is silly, and not possible. But I had to ask!

murf
--
Steve Murphy
Software Developer