[asterisk-dev] | to ,

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Sun Jun 24 21:52:47 CDT 2007

On Sunday 24 June 2007, Matt Riddell wrote:
> Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> > It's not quite done yet, but you're welcome to try it out and give me
> > feedback.  It is at a state already where most things work fine with no
> > changes, if you're already using "," as your delimiter (which most people
> > are).
>
> Will try it out on the next Asterisk box that comes online.
>
> Anything I should look out for?  Anything expected to break it?

Try lots of different things.  Really, the problem is that we still have a ton
of things which still use non-standard parsing, and that poses the greatest
challenge towards getting this conversion complete.

The other question, once this conversion is complete, is whether it ought
to happen now or not.  Obviously, my position is that it should, or I wouldn't
be doing this.  However, it is going to create a flag day, where when you
upgrade to a certain revision, you're going to need to remove quite a bit of
escaping from your dialplan to get it to work correctly.  That may also pose
a bit of a problem when people upgrade from 1.4 to the version following, as
we've always tried to maintain a position of "if you're not using anything
deprecated, then upgrading to the next major release shouldn't break your
dialplan."

This is progress, however, and making it easier at this stage is going to
enable us to do more complex stuff in the future.

--
Tilghman