[asterisk-dev] Fixing Asterisk DNS - bug 9152, asynchronous DNS, etc

Kristian Kielhofner kristian.kielhofner at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 15:22:57 CDT 2007

On 6/22/07, Russell Bryant <russell at digium.com> wrote:
> Olle E Johansson wrote:
> > Hmm, last time I checked this wasn't really what the rest of the
> > world calls "asynch DNS",
> > but things may have changed and I will check again. Kevin also used
> > to have some doubt
> > whether dnsmgr was the right way to go, so I put implementation of
> > that on hold for
> > chan_sip, but if it's now the proper way, I'll look into it again and
> > see if we can enhance
> > it so it can help us improve DNS support, especially in the area of
> > SRV records in SIP.
>
> Well it is certainly asynchronous DNS by definition in that it is
> handling DNS lookups asynchronously from the thread that is using the
> result.  But, I can't say if this is in line with what "the rest of the
> world" expects.
>
> Anyway, I'm sure there are improvements that could be made to the DNS
> manager, but I can't imagine any reason to hold off on using it.  It is
> certainly an improvement to what is in chan_sip today.  If it was ever
> consider an improper way of doing things, then it wouldn't be in the
> tree, and it wouldn't be what has been used in chan_iax2 since before
> Asterisk 1.2.
>
> If anyone can think of a reason *not* to use it chan_sip, I would like
> to know so that we can make it fit the needs.  The first thing I think
> of is that I don't think it has any support for handling of SRV records.
>   That would be a very nice addition for both IAX2 and SIP.
>
> --
> Russell Bryant
> Software Engineer
> Digium, Inc.

Russell,

  How is this for a "task list" (and possible bounty):

- update dns manager to support SRV
- update chan_sip to use dns manager
- update chan_sip to be "asynchronous" like chan_iax2

  That last one sounds a bit dicey - Olle seemed to be leaning towards
the ares approach.

  Olle, what are your thoughts?

--
Kristian Kielhofner