[asterisk-dev] [asterisk-commits] rizzo: trunk r77739 - /trunk/channels/chan_sip.c

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at icir.org
Mon Jul 30 17:58:19 CDT 2007

On Mon, Jul 30, 2007 at 05:33:29PM -0500, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> SVN commits to the Asterisk project wrote:

> > Log:
> > move some dialog-only flags to proper variables, namely
> > SIP_NOVIDEO, SIP_DIALOG_ANSWEREDELSEWHERE, SIP_PAGE2_NOTEXT,
> > SIP_PAGE2_OUTGOING_CALL
> > These are seldom used so the diff is relatively small.
>
> So you are reverting the changes we made that combined all these 'char'
> structure fields into bitfields, thus increasing the size of sip_pvt by
> a noticeable amount, for flags that you say are seldom used.
>
> Can you describe why you think using 'char' variables for these is
> better than a single bit in an 'int'?

just laziness. Once the conversion is complete it will take a moment
to revert to single-bit bitfields (unsigned int foo:1; ...)

As for "noticeable amount" :)
struct sip_pvt is now 5528 bytes (plus 512 bytes of stringfields).
I hope we can live for a few days with the extra 5-10 bytes i am
temporarily introducing...

	cheers
	luigi