[asterisk-dev] application argument delimeters

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Thu Jul 26 07:48:22 CDT 2007

On Wednesday 25 July 2007, Russell Bryant wrote:
> John Todd wrote:
> > I would agree with Tilghman here.  There are already quite a few
> > examples of deprecated applications turning into functions, which
> > tend to break older dialplans already.
>
> Well, all of those examples are done over two releases.  In one release the
> use of the deprecated applications generates warning messages, and then it
> is removed in the next one.
>
> Anyway, I can see how in the case of this one, it is unreasonable to try to
> use some sort of phased deprecation.  Thank you for the responses.
>
> I apologize if I seemed like a squeaky wheel on this one.  I just like to
> be absolutely sure about any changes that affect compatibility.  :)

You could also think about part of the transition as having been the usage of
the standard argument macros, which existed in 1.2 and 1.4 and now will be
mandatory in 1.6, given that the delimiter changes.  If you're compiling
external apps and you've used the standard argument macros, then everything
will compile with no changes on your part.

--
Tilghman